Saturday, January 21, 2017

Harry Potter inspired Wand Holder DIY Tutorial

Any aspiring witch or wizard will eventually acquire a wand. My daughter currently has two wands. A gorgeous wooden wand made by her friend as a birthday gift and an interactive wand that we purchased at Ollivander's in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Both wands are beautiful. She plays with them several times a week so I find them lying around the house. I don't want either to be damaged or accidentally stepped on. I looked on line for wand holders and they cost $30-$50. That seems like a lot of money to keep a stick off the floor.

Looking at the wall mounted holders I decided that I could make one myself for about $5.00. No, it will not bear the official Wizarding World of Harry Potter logo. No, the craftsmanship will not be the same as that of an accomplished woodworker. But it will serve the purpose of displaying the wands and keeping them out of harm's way.

I purchased an inexpensive wooden plaque from Michael's. I paid $2.10 for it, using a 40% off coupon. The rest of the materials were items that I had on hand. You may need to purchase some of these.

How to Create a Simple Wand Holder

Materials:
  • Unfinished wooden plaque
  • Acrylic paint (any color you like)
  • Sandpaper
  • Stain pen or antique gold acrylic paint
  • Paint brushes
  • Paper towels
  • Cup hooks
  • Pliers
  • Nailess hangers
  • Stickers or Decorations (optional)
  • ModPodge (optional)

Process:

Sand the unfinished wooden plaque until it is smooth. Press or gently hammer in two push in sawtooth hangers. Make sure that they are level with each other. I simply placed these where I wanted them and pushed them in with my hand - no tools necessary if you are using a soft wood (pine) plaque.





Paint the plaque with acrylics in the color of your choice. I used black.

When the paint is dry screw in cup hooks. Space the hooks three inches apart vertically and  at least four inches apart horizontally.

I used four large black hooks -  enough to hold two wands.  Cup hooks have screw ends so you just have to twist them into the wood. Once again, no tools necessary.



My initial plan had been to hang the plaque vertically, but the wands need at least four inches of space between the hangers in order to stay in place. You can see the holes where I had originally placed the hooks. If you make a mistake like I did you can fill in the holes with spackle before painting, or cover them with a decorative accent later.


Next, use a pair of pliers to bend each cup hook into a U shape so that it will hold the wand better.





Sand the edges to the bare wood. When you are done rub the piece with a paper towel or cloth to remove any fine dust. I think the distressed edges give it an aged effect.






Rub stain or gold paint carefully along the sanded edges to give the piece depth. You can also use a stain or paint pen to fill in these areas. If you use stain, be sure to rub it with a clean cloth before it dries so that it will set properly. If you don't have paint or stain you can fill in these areas with a gold colored pencil or leave them bare.




If you want to add embellishments you can add a lightning bolt, a Hogwarts crest or a House crest. I had a Hogwarts sticker so I attached it to the center of the wand holder. If you add stickers or any other decorative items be sure to seal them onto your plaque using ModPodge.




Finally, hang it up and set your wands in the brackets.

WANT TO BUY THE BOOK?  You can also follow me on Facebook!

No comments :

Post a Comment